Wednesday, 24 March 2010

The Opening Sequence

I cannot claim to be any kind of professional critic, nor can I even claim to be a student of film or the print media.

Over the past 2 years, my fiance and I have become regulars at our local cinema, thanks to the existence of a card which allows unlimited access for a small fee each month. Throughout our relationship, films have played an important role, from our first dates together, through to our downright obsession which has developed through University.

As a student of English Literature, my partner has a good grounding in narrative lines, underlying context and the social implications of the aforementioned categories. Having also studied Film as a module throughout her undergraduate degree, many of the cinematic concepts and practices are also familiar to her. Although my studies and continued research lie in the field of science, I have always maintained a social interest in theatre, cinema and the printed media, however, my interests have been broadened by my other half, who has always had a much wider spectrum of interest than I. As way of example, I refer you to the genre of science fiction and the medium of comic-book/graphic novels. Previously, I would have scoffed at either. I hated Star Wars and it's ilk (still not a fan of Star Wars itself, but perhaps that discussion's for another day) and wouldn't go out way to watch anything such as X Men, Spiderman etc - now I'm firmly hooked on both.

As we tend to indiscriminately visit with our cinema with such regularity, I aim to maintain this blog as an avenue of review for the films we see. Not only that, I'll maintain it for reviewing DVD releases, graphic novels/comics, theatre performances and game console releases.

Ultimately, this blog will serve as a distraction for whenever I have work I SHOULD be doing on my PhD.

Til the next coffee break...

No comments:

Post a Comment